Sunday, December 16, 2007

How Was Church? Don't Even Ask!

Who knew you could have a bad day at church? Not me! The thought never even crossed my mind. But after today, I could never deny the possibility of having a bad day at church.

Well, the baddness didn't start in sacrament meeting. Sacrament was quite pleasant, plus we sat on a row next to this family with two super cute little boys. They are the hottest tots in our ward! It was Sunday school which actually blew my top. I am a Sunday school teacher for the 13 year olds turning 14. This is the absolute worst age for ANY living, breathing teenager. And I am the lucky one who gets to teach them. So today, I decided to take treats to my class. This is a rare opportuninty because I NEVER bring treats. These obnoxious teens do not need any suger. They have enough hyped up energy and hormones to last a lifetime! I brought these really good assorted cookies. The minute I opened them, one boy, whom we will call "Wilber," runns over and takes one whole variety of 5 cookies in one hand, and another entire variety of 5 cookies in another hand, not allowing anybody else to partake of that particular variety. This ticked me off! Because of Wilbur, I am never taking treats to my sunday school class again! And I made sure that he knew this. Then there were these 2 girls, whom we will call "Bevis" and "Butthead", who were so rude, loud, annoying, and disrespectful. I don't even want to think about them right now. I've had enough of my Sunday school class. Next week, my dad is going to come sit in my class and keep everybody good and respectful, because they won't listen to me. They seem to think that because I am young and not that much older than them, that I am not mean or strict. Therefore they disrespect me. It's just like some of the older kids on the swim team that I coach. They think because I'm a girl and am young, that I don't care how they treat me, but I do. I hate stereotypes!

After sunday school, I went to relief society. Relief society was a little better, until some lady said that young single adults are stupid. A little background on this lady: she is mean, especially to me. I used to be in a young single adult calling. While in this calling, I tried to get involved and tried to go to some of the young single adult activities. This lady was also involved in guiding they YSA's. But she was so mean and uncaring to me and did some things which led me to breakdown to a member of the bishopric to get released from the calling. They expressed apologies to me for what this lady did, and released me. And that experience has totally pushed me away from the young single adult program. I do not try and be involved with it, and I never go to activities thanks to mean lady. So anyways, back to relief society today. One of our relief society leaders was anouncing a young single adult activity where they the young single adults would be going to temple square to see the lights. She also added "make sure you dress warm, although I know the young single adults are probably smart enough to figure that out themselves." That's when mean lady rose her hand and said "no there not!" and looked straight back at me. This really upset me, especially with past things this lady has done and said to me. That was the climax of my bad church day. After that, I just layed on my mom's shoulder and covered my face with my hair so that nobody could see me cry. Hopefully next week will be a better week at church.

6 comments:

mad dog said...

If I were you, I would leave the church. Just kidding. Sorry it was such a bad sabboth!

Kristen said...

Oh Lauren I'm sorry! I can't figure out why Sister Rose doesn't act like a freaking grown up instead of some silly, immature teenage girl. Just ignore her. She's not worth your tears - guaranteed! Some women just never grow up past high school.

As for your sunday school class, I have an idea who Beavis & Butthead are & I may put one of them in a choke hold if her parents don't beat me to it. :)

Nedge said...

Lauren, Lauren, Lauren!
You're probably going to be ornery at me for saying this, but:
You definitely need to gain a better attitude towards teaching sunday school and Sister Rose.
Obviously these people, however annoying they may seem, are teaching you a valuable lesson in some way. I bet in a few years, months, days, minutes, whatever, you're going to look back on these moments and realize what you've learned, and maybe even laugh at them.

The sunday school problem? Don't be afraid to bring treats: just keep them inside a bag or something, and hand them out after class. Or you can do what my sister does: hands them a tiny piece of brownie, set it on their laps where they can see it, and if they don't eat it by the end of the lesson, they get it AND a bigger huger piece!

And don't be afraid to confront Sister Rose. She might not even realize how much she's hurting you: don't be afraid to stand up to her and set things straight, or at least figure out what the heck is going on.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Lauren. Some people are just stupid. Don't give kids candy. Tell their parents they are stupid. Have their parents come in instead of yours. See if that makes a difference. Try giving them the silent treatment.

Anonymous said...

i think you should kick wilbur in the shins and egg the mean lady's house. i will offer my services of excellent egg throwing and help you. i'm sure kristen would too. i guess i should ask who mean lady is first. anyway, Beavis and butthead owe you a big apology (i.e. major brownie baking). i wonder if they are the same beavis & butthead in my class.

swimmerchic101 said...

I disagree with abby, about a better attitude, I mean you are obviously trying your best, but some people are just plain rude and obnoxious. Mabye you should try like, if they are all talking and what not, just sit there and stare, or look at the floor until they are ready to listen, and every time they interupt just do the same, thing cause if they are going to be rude they don't deserve to hear what valuable information you have to say.