Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Lazy, Crazy, Hazy Summer Days

Hiking was one of our favorite family activities in the summer. We use to do alot of it. And we always wore these cool, crazy-colored wind breakers. Most of our hikes were in the Uintah mountains, which don't seem to get too warm in the summer.
Basically anything with the word "swim" has always appealed to us, even if we had to swim in a dinky little pool in our backyard. It was still fun! But poor Emily was too young in this picture, and had to sit back there in her stroller. He he he!

This is me, trying to make my way out of Grandma's pool. It's funny that this pool seemed soooooo deep to me when I was little. I remember thinking that sharks lived at the bottom of the deep end.

Swimming at Grandma's in the summer, has always been a cousin favorite. We still have swim parties, just not as often as we use to.

This is the house we lived in a long time ago.

I went visiting teaching today. The lady we were visiting was telling us about the crazy things her kids have been doing this summer. It all brought me back to those lazy, crazy, hazy days of summer when I was younger. Our old house was in a circle, or coldisack (however that word is spelled). We were constantly outside playing with all the other kids in our circle. My best friend, whose name was Michelle lived in our circle too. Maddie was best friends with her older sister, Amanda. We had some theory going that Maddie and Amanda were the witches, and they became active whenever the dark clouds were out. Michelle and I were the princesses, and we became active whenever there were pink, sunset clouds. We liked eating raspberries off of Amanda and Michelle's raspberry bush. We loved jumping on the trampoline with sprinklers underneath. We loved riding our bikes around the circle as fast as we could, or until one of us wrecked. And of course we loved playing barbies. We did lots of crazy things, such as throwing pebbles at passing cars. (This however was not the best idea, and we got in trouble for it.) Sometimes we would pick grass, and make little bird's nests out of the piles we had picked. I remember one time, I snuck 2 eggs out of our fridge, and layed them in our grass. I had Amanda and Michelle convinced that they were turtle or chicken eggs, so Amanda cracked them open to check. On of our favorite things to do in the summer, was to set a tent up in the backyard and sleep in it. We would always get so excited and hyper while my dad would set it up for us. But Natalie usually chickened out and ended up sleepint in the house. And if we were not doing one of these mentioned crazy activities in the summer, we would be found swimming at Grandma's pool with our cousins!

3 comments:

Nedge said...

Woah! You sure knew how to celebrate summer!

I loved your stories. Your stories reminded me of my stories, which I will not disclose to the world for five dollars. But if you give me six, maybe I'd consider...

And the word you were trying to spell? Coldisac? In case you were wondering how in the world how it's spelled (I didn't know either, had to look it up...), it's spelled: cul de sac.

Nedge said...

I really like your pictures, by the way.
Natalie is definitely the hottest of the group. I love her startling gorgeous blue eyes.
Then there's you and Maddie.
You guys were...cute too.

Anonymous said...

i noticed the 'lazy hazy crazy days of summer' quote in there. i just barely watched that episode and that song was stuck in my head forever! nicole