Friday, November 21, 2008

A Better Understanding Of My Life

This morning in my foundations of health promotion class, my professor ended her lecture in an extremely passionate way, which I can't get out of my head. She was going through some lecture notes on the ethics health professionals must have, in order to be legitimate and successful in their careers. Suddenly she stopped the lecture and started to tell us that there are a very few occasions when she gets on a soapbox in this class, and that today was going to be one of them. She told us that in order of be successful in whatever we do in our lives, we MUST achieve a high set of morals that we live by, and that we need to keep our integrity. She told us this with such more passion and more concern than I have ever seen in any of my professors. Today, more then ever, I finally understand why I'm going into a health profession: I want to do good for other people, and for myself. I'm not going through all this hard education to learn interesting things for myself, I'm going through this to someday be able to share it with larger numbers of people who NEED it! I finally understand that I have the ability to make a change for the better, in someone elses life. I feel more excited than ever about what I'm doing right now with my own life!

Lately, I've also been thinking about what I will do when I graduate from college. If things go as planned, I will graduate in a year, spring 2010, with my bachelor's of science in Health Promotion and Educaiton, with a minor in Human Development/Family Studies. I'm very excited about this, and love to talk about it! Lately though, everyone has been asking what I'm going to do with my degree when I graduate. Here's the problem: My degree is a pretty broad one, and I have way too many interests, so I always have to say I have no idea what to do when I graduate! But if someone were to ask me, today, what I'm going to do, I now have pretty definate answer. I will graduate and find a good job, maybe with Red Cross, Health Department of Utah, or at an eating disorder facility, and work for a good year or so. After about a year or more, I want to apply for graduate school and get my Master's of Public Health, with an emphasis in epidemiology. It is a 2 year program, and after that I want to be an Epidemiologist f the the Utah Department of Health! I'm soooooooo excited about this right now, and feel very good about it. I am really into my major right now, and even though it is difficult, I am loving every minute of it! And by the way, Go Utes tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

mad dog said...

Woo-hoo! Sounds like a great plan!

Nedge said...

Awesome! I'm excited for you! I wish I had a sense of direction like you.

Lauren said...

Well Nedge, it has taken a long time to find that sense of direction......you'll find it, don't worry.

rochelle said...

isn't it great to have this feeling? will you explain what an epidemiologist does? i'm lost. way to go on finding your path! go cougars!

Unknown said...

i'm so proud of you.
that has to be such a wonderful feeling.
you are going to be a great at what you do because you like it so much!

btw, go utes!

Anonymous said...

What great goals and plans for your future!
Auntie Judy