Monday, September 24, 2007

Nervous Child

Last night, after our family prayer, I was reminded of something funny I use to do when I was about 6 or 7 years old. Well, I always love when little kids bear their testimonies in sacrament meeting and say somthing really funny such as "I hope my sister won't hit me anymore" or something like that. It's so funny because they are young and innocent. I use to be one of these kids. But my silly little sayings occurred whenever it was my turn to give the family prayer. Every time I said the family prayer at bedtime, there were two things I would never forget to say in my prayer. I would always say "Please bless that our clothes won't catch on fire," and "Please bless that our house won't get crunched." Man, if I heard a kid say those two things in a prayer, I think I would bust up laughing. But my parents never laughed - probably because these were regular things for me to say. I aske my mom if she ever thought it was funny or anything. But she just told me it was sweet, because I was so sincere about it. I was a nervous wreck as a child. I worried about all kinds of little things. In elementary school, fire drills and earthquake drills terrified me! These are two serious things to be concerned about, but I remember going home from school so upset after we had a certain type of drill. Now, after going to Kearns High, I have no reaction to fire alarms. Those of you familiar with Kearns and the "fire alarm situations" know what I'm talking about. Well, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lauren!

Nedge said...

I was traumatized by earthquake and fire drills, too. I don't think the teachers at those schools realize that we're very, very impressionable at that age.
I fretted so much about the fire alarm in our house, because it was upstairs. I'm this deaf little kid downstairs.
I was convinced I was going to die in a fire at my house.