This semester, I have been working on a big project about eating disorders and the impact they have on pregnancy. I've done quite a bit of work on eating disorders throughout my degree program at the U. It has always been a subject I have been quite passionate about. As I have been doing my research for this project, I came across some random eating disorder commercials. I really wish these commercials would be put on t.v. more often. So many Americans suffer from eating disorders. The statistics really do sadden me. I've learned the signs to look for in a person who you may suspect an eating disorder. Everytime I see someone when I'm in public who I can immediately tell has an eating disorder, it really breaks my heart. I think what makes me feel the most sad for people with eating disorders is not they way that they look, but the cause of their eating disorder. Lots of times the cause is not all about physical appearance. Lots of time it becomes a person's way of dealing with difficulties in their life. What people don't understand, are how dangerous the consequences of an eating disorder are. Television needs to brodcast more commercials on eating disorder awareness. As a Health Promotion person and in 5 more weeks, a Health Educator, I just couldn't resist putting these two commercials I found, on my blog. One of them is slightly graphic, so be warned before you watch them, but they are reality, which some people are afraid to face. I just wish eathing disorder awareness was taken more seriously than it is. Watch these videos, and maybe you will better understand where I'm coming from.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjwZhEnSWvg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tOucGDXAtA
No comments:
Post a Comment