Monday, January 04, 2010

Climb Every Mountain

Over the weekend, my family and I were able to go to Summit to vist my grandmother. I was excited to go, because I hadn't seen my grandma since my grandpa's funeral in November. While we were there we were able to have a little Christmas with grandma and also helped her clean out some of grandpa's cloths and other things. I love to see and hear how much my grandma loves my grandpa. She constantly talks about him and his life, and I love to listen to all the stories she has of him. I learned one story from my grandma this weekend that I was not aware of, and it is rather touching. For those of you who know my grandpa, he was an amazing pianist. He never played the piano with music in front of him. He could play any song, but he would only play by ear. It was always such a magical thing when I was little to tell him about a song such as "It's a Small World," and within seconds he would figure out how to play it on the piano. A few days before he passed away, he wanted to play the piano one more time with the Master Singers. Weak and wobbily, my uncles helped him get up the stairs to the piano. One of the last songs he played on the piano was "Climb Every Mountain." I wish I could have been there to hear him play this that day. Since my grandma told us about this special experience, I have not been able to stop thinking about this song and the powerful lyrics that make this song what it is. I just had to post it on my blog so I can always listen to this song and think of my grandpa and how he truly did "climb every mountain" in his life, no matter how steep each mountain was.


3 comments:

mad dog said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing that!

Nedge said...

That is an awesome story. I'm glad you wrote it down, so you'll always remember. :)

rochelle said...

Lauren, that is so touching! What a great memory to have and share with your kids one day.