Sunday, January 23, 2011

To Grandma, With Love

This may sound a little goofy, but a line from the song "To Sir, With Love" quotes best what I feel right now. It says, "But how do you thank someone, who has taken you from crayons to perfume? It isn't easy, but I'll try."

My grandma passed away yesterday, January 22nd, 2011 at 3:15 P.M. At 8:30 a.m., I was still snoozing away as I had sort of a rough week. Suddenly, I was being awakened by the sound of my phone ringing. It was my mom. She was crying and told me she had spent the night at the hospital. I thought something had happened to my mom, unil I heard the next two words "its grandma." My mom told me that in the night my grandma had been rushed to the hospital, and no body was certain she was going to make it. As my mom continutes to tell me everything that happened, all I could do was cry while I listened and hope I was dreaming. The pain of the thought of loosing my grandma made it clear that this was no dream. When my mom finished telling me everything, the only thing I could say through my tears was "can I please come home today?" Of course my mom pleaded that I do, but not to rush through all my emotions. Not long later my boss called me, not know what was hapenning in my family at the moment. I answered the phone. My boss didn't even say "hi," all he said was "are you okay?" It kind of stunned me and I wondered if he knew. He didn't. I told him about my grandma and all he said was "you do what you need to do." Feeling greatful to have his support and concern, I packed and began my 4 hour drive home. As I was pulling into the Salt Lake Valley, my dad called me and calmly said "Lauren, just go straight home. Grandma has passed." When he told me, as I felt the pain of loss, I was overwhelmed with a calming spirit. I realized that my grandma never has to suffer again. She is not coughing anymore. She can stand up straight. Her legs don't hurt. Her feet don't hurt. She is with her family, and with our Lord and our Savior. I have not doubt about that.

My grandma is an amazing woman. She took care of everyone, including her neighbors. She made me feel special for whatever I did. I have so many fun memories of her. I remember once when I was little, my parents dropped us off and Grandma and Grandpa's house to get tended. I threw a big, huge temper tantram and tried to run away from my grandma. But guess what? She caught me and brought me right back inside and calmed me down. She always came to grandparents' day at our elementary school and alwasy took us for french fries and ice cream afterwords. She showed us all how important family is. Somehow, she was always able to pull our massive extended family together at once! Grandma was our lifeguard at her pool. Once we became college students, she called us brats and whacked us with her cane if we teased her. She loved being teased, and I loved being whacked by my grandma. She took care of us all. I miss her allready. Its going to be hard without her on earth, but I know she is in a better place. I hope I can continue to learn from her example. I love you grandma! Thank you for being the best grandma ever!

3 comments:

Annie said...

Thank you Lauren.

Bing Math said...

Nice job.

Nedge said...

:') Beautiful post.